- Zizzo Strategy provides strategic consulting to assist the YMCA of Greater Toronto in developing and implementing its climate resilience and sustainability vision.
Relationship Management / Project Coordination Climate-Risk
- Zizzo Strategy consultants have identified opportunities, managed partnerships and coordinated projects for the YMCA for the past eight years.
- Have identified opportunities, managed partnerships and coordinated projects for the YMCA relating to renewable energy, biofuel, vermiculture composting, urban farming, electric vehicle infrastructure and emergency preparedness.
- Have facilitated the integration of innovative and smart-city technology into the YMCA’s new Cooper Koo YMCA on Cherry Street.
- Have facilitated relationships with the City of Toronto and other public agencies to promote energy efficiency and resiliency initiatives at various YMCA facilities.
- Worked to identify high-level climate risks and vulnerabilities to climate impacts as well as vulnerable assets based on the best available information on current and projected climate impacts in North America. We subsequently helped to put plans in place to mitigate risk by developing the first stage of a climate risk and resilience framework: the “climate risk identification protocol”.
- Board briefing notes and presentations on climate risk, relevant climate change policy updates, carbon pricing in Canada.
- Composed a legal primer on climate risks which included: the legal risks related to climate adaptation, common-law liabilities related to climate impacts and recent policy developments.
- Delivered educational workshops to communicate the for action on climate adaptation to senior decision makers.
Green Building Projects
- LEED green building certification management and coordination; new construction embodied carbon / life-cycle analysis; projects for enhanced resiliency, including investigation into on-site combined heat and power generation
- Innovative green building performance indicators, rating systems and benchmarks across Europe, including BREEAM, DGNB, Passive House and Active House.
- Developing high-performance green buildings and smart and sustainable neighbourhoods across Canada. Contributed to dozens of high-profile Canadian and European LEED projects. Contributed to green neighbourhood revitalization plans
- Toronto Community Housing’s Alexandra Park, and Lawrence Allan Revitalization
- Provide analysis and recommendations regarding community energy planning on these projects.
- Understanding the impact of material substitutions with lower impact alternatives on carbon emissions using advanced life cycle assessment methodologies.
- Reviewed the nature and extent of climate-related disclosures made by Canadian public companies in their securities filings (financial statements, annual information forms, management’s discussion and analysis, and information circulars). The review indicated a broad disclosure of climate-related information among Canadian companies, and suggested there may be a gap between investor information needs and current corporate reporting practices.
- Zizzo Strategy team members conducted research and stakeholder consultations on electric vehicle use and infrastructure in North America to identify barriers and opportunities to EV uptake and advised three Ontario municipalities on city-specific policy and planning solutions.
- In a project funded by Natural Resources Canada’s Adaptation platform, Zizzo Strategy team members interviewed the majority of Canada’s major electricity generation and transmission companies to assess the current state of awareness and action on climate adaptation in these sectors. This resulted in a report providing key recommendations to assist industry and policy decision makers to move forward on climate resiliency.
- Updating Greenhouse Gas Industrial Reporting and Control Act Policy Guidance Materials for the British Columbia Climate Action Secretariat
- Research, recommendations and select advocacy related to implementation of the Western Climate Initiative in Ontario
- Part of a team that advised the MOECC regarding how to achieve climate change mitigation and adaptation objectives through amendments to Ontario’s land use planning framework in the Greater Golden Horseshoe.
- Drawing on an extensive review of best practices and the experience of its expert Advisory Committee, Zizzo Strategy lawyers prescribed recommendations for implementation strategies designed to promote:
- compact, mixed-use, location-efficient communities;
- urban design features that support active transportation; sustainable energy planning;
- protection and enhancement of green infrastructure; and
- low-impact development and improved storm water management.
- Worked closely with conservation authorities to evaluate how they can best support municipalities in their efforts to adapt to climate change, including by identifying gaps in Ontario’s current water legislative framework, drawing on best practices to inform prescriptions for regulatory reform and promoting innovative solutions to improve and integrate water resource management in Ontario.
- Advised the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) on the development of a legal framework that includes best practices for integrating climate change and biodiversity into land use planning in a project funded by the Government of Germany. The resulting global study is to be used to create policy briefs to feed into the Convention of Biodiversity (CBD) and United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) processes and to set up capacity-building modules for local actors. The framework will be implementable across countries but is particularly geared toward target countries Colombia, Vietnam, Tanzania and Zambia.
- Are regularly retained to inform senior-level decision makers in municipalities in the GTHA and across the country of potential legal liabilities and other drives to improve climate change mitigation and adaptation activities.
EXPERIENCE BY INDUSTRY
- Integrating Climate Change into Land Use Planning: Zizzo Strategy lawyers advised the Ontario Ministry of Environment and Climate Change on how to achieve climate change mitigation and adaptation objectives through amendments to Ontario’s land use planning framework in collaboration with other partner organizations. Drawing on an extensive literature review and scan of best practices, Zizzo Strategy lawyers prescribed recommendations for implementation strategies designed to promote: compact, mixed-use, location-efficient communities; urban design features that support active transportation; sustainable energy planning; protection and enhancement of green infrastructure; and low-impact development and improved storm water management.
- Legal Drivers for Municipal Adaptation: Zizzo Strategy lawyers are regularly retained to inform senior-level decision makers in municipalities across the country of potential legal liabilities and other drives to improve climate change mitigation and adaptation activities.
- Review of Environmental and Climate Change Reporting: Zizzo Strategy lawyers provided consulting services related to the company’s environmental and climate change reporting. The team outlined legal risks associated with inconsistent and/or inadequate reporting, benchmarked industry-specific material sustainability issues and identified opportunities to improve reporting and reduce potential liability.
- Canadian Climate Risk Disclosure: Zizzo Strategy is spearheading a study on the current state of climate change risk disclosures by Canadian companies, sponsored by Chartered Professional Accountants Canada.
- Advocacy Work on Cap and Trade Development: Zizzo Strategy lawyers have provided research, analysis and advocacy support to various not-for-profit organizations concerning the development of Ontario’s cap and trade program. Zizzo Strategy helps organizations understand key design elements, tradeoffs and business concerns to ensure policy effectiveness and broad stakeholder buy-in.
- Electric Vehicle Policy and Promotion: Zizzo Strategy lawyers provided research support on electric vehicle use and infrastructure in North America and conducted stakeholder consultations in three Ontario municipalities to identify barriers and opportunities to EV uptake. Prescribed city-specific policy and planning solutions to each partner municipality.
- Municipal Legal Tools for Stormwater Management: Zizzo Strategy is supporting the Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction (ICLR) by exploring potential measures private home and property owners in Canada could be required to take to better manage stormwater and protect against flood risk.
- Climate Change Law for Canadian Engineers: Zizzo Strategy lawyers researched and developed curriculum on Climate Change Law for Engineer Canada’s Resilience Professional Certification Program and is actively involved in the dissemination of information throughout Canada related to the role of engineers and other technical specialists in addressing climate risks.
- Understanding the Current State of Action and Awareness on Climate Adaptation in Canadian Electricity Sector: In a project funded by Natural Resources Canada’s Adaptation platform, Zizzo Strategy team members interviewed the majority of Canada’s major electricity generation and transmission companies to assess the current state of awareness and action on climate adaptation in these sectors. Zizzo Strategy team members prescribed key recommendations to assist industry and policy decision makers to move forward on climate resiliency.
- Climate Risk in Electricity Sector: Zizzo Strategy has delivered presentations and workshops to educate CEA members on climate risk and legal drivers to adapt to climate change.
Asset Owners / Builders / Operators
- Strategic Planning & Community Resilience: Zizzo Strategy provides strategic advice to assist the YMCA of Greater Toronto in developing and implementing its climate resiliency vision, including its integrated climate and energy sustainability master plan. Zizzo Strategy team members have identified opportunities, managed partnerships and coordinated projects for the YMCA relating to renewable energy generation, energy efficiency retrofits, biofuel, vermiculture composting, urban farming, electric vehicle infrastructure and emergency preparedness. Zizzo Strategy team members have also facilitated the integration of resiliency building, innovative and smart-city technologies into the YMCA’s new Cooper Koo YMCA facility on Cherry Street in Toronto’s new waterfront Canary District.
- LEED & Life Cycle Analysis: Zizzo Strategy engineers have proven experience in developing high-performance green buildings and smart and sustainable neighbourhoods across Canada and Europe. Team members have contributed to dozens of high-profile LEED projects. We have helped clients understand the impact of design optimization and material substitutions for lower carbon developments using advanced life cycle assessment methodologies. Zizzo Strategy brings a wealth of international experience and perspective, having worked with other innovative green building performance indicators, rating systems and benchmarks across Europe, including BREEAM, DGNB, Passive House and Active House.