Ryan has a decade of experience leading green building solutions across Canada and Europe. As a professional engineer and project manager, he helps built-environment designers, owners, and operators meet their sustainability goals. His expertise ranges from internationally recognized green certifications such as LEED to local sustainability requirements like the Toronto Green Standard. He is also an expert in life cycle assessment (LCA) methods, having taught graduate level courses on LCA and other green building concepts for two years at the largest technical university in Finland, the Metropolia University of Applied Science. Ryan has trained dozens of green building professionals through seminars organized by the national Green Building Councils in six European countries.
Ryan was previously a project manager with Halsall Associates (now WSP), one of Canada’s leading green buildings engineering / certification teams. In this role, he contributed to some of Canada’s most prominent green buildings.
Leading European experience was achieved through the three years Ryan spent living and working in Helsinki, Finland. Through his own freelance consultancy, ZED Consulting, Ryan contributed to numerous Pan-Nordic and European projects and gained experience with innovative green tools being used to guide Europe’s green transformation. He was strongly involved with Climate-KIC, Europe’s largest public-private innovation partnership, through which Ryan contributed to leading sustainability teams in Frankfurt, Valencia, Copenhagen, and beyond.
Ryan is a frequent speaker and participant in green building events and programs, and is a member of the Canada Green Building Council’s Greater Toronto Chapter.
Ryan holds a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering from Queen’s University, a Masters degree in Applied Science in Civil Engineering and Environmental Engineering from the University of Toronto, is a licenced Engineer in the Province of Ontario, and holds a LEED Accredited Professional designation in Neighbourhood Development.
- Contributing Member of Canada Green Building Council, Toronto Chapter
- Member of Project Neutral Toronto’s Technical Advisory Committee
- Participant, organizer, and alumni of multiple programs through Climate-KIC, Europe’s largest private-public partnership implementing the shift to the low-carbon economy.
- Life Cycle Assessment for Building Renovations. Nordic Built Challenge Magazine. “Fremtidssikring af Velfærdsbyen”. June 2015.
- “Green Buildings are not a Fad”. ZelenaZona. Zagrebacka Banka (a leading Croatian bank). November 2014.
- Blue and White…and Green! Finland leads the Nordic countries with the most LEED and BREEAM certified buildings. Article featured on Green Building Council Finland website. September 2013.
- Getting to Carbon Neutral: A Guide for Canadian Municipalities. Contributing Author. Toronto & Region Conservation Authority. 2009.
- Green Building Professional education lectures. Topics: Life Cycle Assessment & Costing, Green Design Principles, and Sustainable Materials & Resources. Multiple presentations in 2014 and 2015 for Green Building Councils of: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Croatia.
- Encouraging Student Entrepreneurship: Success Stories from Finland. European Models of Supporting Academic Entrepreneurship. May 2015. Wroclaw, Poland.
- LEED – What you need to know. Seminar for property owners and managers. Kiinko Real Estate Education. Helsinki, Finland. October 2013.
- LEED Version 4 Update. Nordic Green Building Conference. Helsinki, Finland. January 2013.
- Tomorrow’s Green Communities: Tools for Change; Community Energy Plans. Canadian Green Building Council 2011 National Symposium. Toronto. 2011.
- Sustainable Communities. University of Toronto 2nd Year Civil Engineering Class. September 2011 and September 2010. Toronto.
- Designing an Optimal Urban Community Mix for Aquifer Thermal Energy Storage. 5th International Conference in Industrial Ecology, International Society for Industrial Ecology, June 2007, Lisbon, Portugal.