Joanna previously practiced at a boutique law firm where she advised clients on emerging issues in climate change, energy and environmental law and policy and appeared in regulatory proceedings before the Ontario Energy Board. Prior to that, Joanna practiced at a premier law firm in New York, representing global financial institutions, major investment banks and private equity firms in complex litigation and regulatory matters in federal and state courts.
Joanna graduated magna cum laude from Cornell University with a degree in Natural Resources (BSc) and obtained her law degree (JD) from the University of Toronto. She is called to the Bar in Ontario and New York.
Selected Governance :
- Panelist, Expert Panel on Climate Change Adaptation and Resilience 2017 – Present Results launched by the Government of Canada/Minister of Environment and Climate Change, Catherine McKenna
- Chair, Board of Directors, GreenPAC
- Young Professionals Council Member, Green City Force
Selected Publications :
- Kyriazis, J (co-author with various others). “Embodied Carbon of Buildings and Infrastructure: International Policy Review”. Forestry Innovation Investment.
- Zizzo, Laura and Kyriazis, 2016. “Climate Change Considerations Have Become Business Imperatives: Selected Discussion of International Law, Policy and Market Drivers to Consider Climate Change”. Ontario Bar Association Institute 2016 – Environmental Law: Hot Topics in Climate Change.
- Zizzo, L., Allan, T. and Kyriazis, J. 2014. “Understanding Canadian Electricity Generation and Transmission Sectors’ Action and Awareness on Climate Change and the Need to Adapt”
- Kyriazis, J (co-author with various others). 2009. “Biofuel Impacts on World Food Supply”. Energies (1): 41-78
- Kyriazis, J (co-author with various others). 2008. “Food Versus Biofuels: Environmental and Economic Costs”. Human Ecology (37): 1-12
Selected Presentations :
- Engineers and Geoscientists BC. “Legal Implications of Climate Change for Professionals”. Live Webinar. September 28, 2017
- BGC Engineering, Inc. “Understanding Climate Change Trends, Risks and Opportunities”. (Vancouver, BC). September 21, 2017
- ICLEI Livable Cities Forum. “Climate Change Impacts from a Business Perspective” (Victoria, BC). September 18, 2017
- Engineers Canada. “Understanding the Changing Legal Climate: Canadian Climate Law for Engineers and other Professionals” (Vancouver, BC) June 6-7, 2017
- Engineers Canada. “Understanding the Changing Legal Climate: Canadian Climate Law for Engineers” (Toronto, ON) February 14-15, 2017
- Sustainability Consultant Network. “The Ontario Cap and Trade System: How Will it Affect You?” (Toronto, ON) June 14, 2016
- Engineers Canada Training as part of their Infrastructure Resilience Professional Certification Program. “Understanding the Changing Legal Climate: Climate Law in Canada for Engineers”. (Ottawa, ON) June 9-10, 2016
- Land & Development Conference 2016. “Building Sustainable Communities through Location-Efficient Development” (Toronto, ON) May 10, 2016
- Ryerson University. “Climate Change & Legal Change” (Toronto, ON) April 9, 2015
- Niagara Sustainability Initiative. Niagara Energy Summit 2016. “The Ontario Cap and Trade System: How Will it Affect You?” (Niagara, ON) February 3, 2016